- Corporate communications planning & execution
- Executive communications
- Visual communications & design
- Project management
- Technology marketing
- Primary and secondary research
- Coaching, teaching, and training development
- Global perspective & cultural awareness
Leading Visually LLC 2012 - Present
- I'm building a practice focused on leadership communications. My intent is to help leaders communicate effectively, with purpose, and with passion to their marketplace, to external influencers, and within their organizations. I'm seeking clients who will benefit from my help with tactical elements of communication like great design, beautiful data visualization, and proficient use of a full range of communications channels. Beyond the tactical, I'm looking to build trusted relationships with my clients so we can get to the issues at the heart of communicating leadership -- to communicate purpose, to inspire action and to ignite change. link
Symantec (formerly MessageLabs) 2005 - 2012
Princ. Strategic Planning Specialist, SMB & .cloud Strategic Marketing 2011-2012
- Supervised primary research projects including customer & partner surveys as well as Net Promoter Scores (NPS).
- Product marketing management for Symantec.cloud portals and infrastructure.
- Coordinated SMB & .cloud product presence on Symantec internal and external web properties.
- Strategic marketing operations. Developed intranets for the organization, evangelized our SFDC Chatter internal social network, and developed a SharePoint based knowledge management system utilizing Wikis.
- Development of messaging to explain Symantec.cloud services, technologies, and thought leadership to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Participation in development and promotion of the MessageLabs Intelligence thought leadership platform, including key email threats metrics, which provided the global benchmark for email spam and virus rates.
- Development of speeches and presentations for the executive team.
- Management of MessageLabs/Symantec.cloud internal communications.
- Development and execution of the MessageLabs/Symantec.cloud social media program.
- Corporate Communications operations management including qualitative and quantitative measurement.
Euro RSCG Magnet/Magnet Communications/Capstone Communications 2000-2005
Senior Analyst 2002-2005
- Creation, management and evangelism of a public relations measurement system used throughout the company.
- Development of messaging for clients that explains their products and technologies to technical and non-technical audiences. Development of speeches and presentations for senior client executives.
- Management and execution of primary and secondary research projects. Competitive analyses and share of voice media analyses. Qualitative and quantitative online and telephone studies.
- Training junior staff on research methodology and other public relations topics.
- Team management, including planning, scheduling and budgeting.
- Recruiting of professional staff. Recruiting and supervision of support staff for office operations, finance, IT and HR.
- Site selection, lease execution, and facilities management.
- General business operations.
- Secondary research projects for technology clients.
The Lewis Company/KLS Associates Summers 91-92,1993-2000
Product Design Consultant
Significant product design and project management contributions to over 60 projects, for 15 clients representing a wide range of industries, including: telecommunications infrastructure, elections systems, medical devices, and semiconductor manufacturing equipment.
EducationUniversity of California, Santa Cruz 1989-93
Completed course work towards B.A. in Environmental Studies, emphasis on policy, planning, and the built environment.
Selected Volunteer Leadership Experience
U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary 2003-Present
Elected leadership roles as District Captain, Division Commander, Flotilla Commander and Vice Flotilla Commander. Various staff roles on the Flotilla, Division, District and National levels including Division Chief roles in Information Technology and Strategic Analysis – Coxswain – Vessel Examiner – Air Observer – Boating Safety Instructor
- As District Captain leads 640 members in 18 Oregon & Southwest Washington Flotillas conducting Coast Guard Auxiliary missions and operating 65 vessels and four aircraft.
- Details of my Auxiliary leadership roles are detailed here.
Vice President, Internal Affairs - Porter College Councilor - Chair, Outreach Programs Committee - Alumni Representative, Committee on Educational Policy of the Academic Senate
- The council serves as the board of directors for the Association, which serves over 80,000 alumni.
UCSC Student Union Assembly 1991-92
- Top undergraduate campus wide elected position at UCSC. Represented students and worked with the Chancellor, staff, faculty, and alumni to build consensus around a variety of issues including fee hikes, retention and the narrative evaluation system.